The resistance was real on Episode 003.
I got 000-002 DONESKIS, then put allllll this pressure on little ol’ 003.
“This has to be symbolic and foreshadow allll the future solo shows I’m gonna do for this podcast, blah blah” >> BULLHONKY.
I finally released myself from that pressure and gave myself permission to just GO with what came up.
“What came up” was a simple decision to listen to episode ONE of Liz Gilbert’s (amazing) Magic Lessons podcast on my way home from the beach with B-man.
She was coaching a mom who was struggling to find guilt-free time to nurture her own creations and shared this quote from author AS Byatt:
“I think of writing simply in terms of pleasure. It’s the most important thing in my life, making things…Much as I love my husband and my children, I love them only because I am the person who makes these things.”
BOOM. There’s the discussion for 003: Mom guilt and martyrdom.
After reading through hundreds of stories, fears, hopes, and frustrations from my fellow #naptimeempires builders, I saw an instant pattern:
We all want to do – be – have – give more.
My first thought? We need to lower the freakin’ bar, ladies.
(Doesn’t that inspire you to greatness??)
For real though.
There’s no sneaky secret here.
There’s no five-step system for building an awesome Naptime Empire™.
I don’t have a shortcut, or think it’s easy breezy – but I DO know it’s worth exploring.
You and me, sister.
Let’s take a vow to remind each other that even on the days when we feel like the WORST moms in the world, quite honestly – we’re doing just fine.
IN THIS ONE, WE COVER:
– Permission to define “having it all” for yourself
– Getting clear on how you want to FEEL as a mom – wife – biz owner – WOMAN.
– Recognizing the junk stories / limiting beliefs we tell ourselves
– The danger of modeling martyrdom (another gem via Liz Gilbert)
– Permission to CREATE
– The flip side of this #momguilt coin (i.e. what “feeling bad” is really telling us)
LISTEN IN >>
MENTIONED IN THIS EP
- Liz Gilbert + her Magic Lessons podcast
- Liz Gilbert’s book, Big Magic: Creative Living Beyond Fear (aff link)
- Morgan MacDonald’s #naptimeempires story **coming soon**
- Guardian interview with AS Byatt
- My FB Live for #badmoms
- imomsohard on YouTube
- Mastering the micro-hustle with Todd Herman
MORE FROM ME
MORE FROM *YOU*
- Like what you hear? If SO, be sure to subscribe to Naptime Empires™ on iTunes. Or Stitcher. Or Google Play.
- For (SINCERELY appreciated) bonus points: Leave me a rating + review! Even just a couple quick words will help MORE entrepreneurial mamas find the show.
- Use the hashtag #naptimeempires to join the conversation on social media. (Not to be a creeper, but I LOVE seeing pics of what you’re doing while you listen! Laundry? Walking? Hiding in the closet?)
- Have a comment, Q, or idea for a future show? Gimme the scoop using the form HERE.